February 23, 2010

Stop Trying To Sell Me MOM JEANS

I have been a bit incommunicado lately. First, I apologize. Second, I warn it will continue for a bit. I have some big dissertation deadlines looming and need to get my butt in gear. No surfing, no blogging, no screwing around ... as soon as I post this.

I keep getting emails from Nordstrom trying to sell me "Not Your Daughter's Jeans". I have gotten a ton of them, and another arrived in my inbox today.

I dont know if they know I have kids (specifically a daughter?) or if they just spam this out to everyone. But I'm sorry, I'm not gonna buy MOM JEANS.

This is probably their commercial...


Are these jeans actually popular? Even though I'm a mother, I like to think of myself as an individual and when I shop I dont think "Hmmm... Im a mother, what clothes should I buy". Sure, as I get older I tend to avoid having the plumbers crack thing going on. But does that mean I'm going to wear a pair of jeans called "Not Your Daughter's Jeans"? No. And if I DID want to buy a pair, could I still buy them if I had a son, or are they for mothers of daughters only? Maybe I'll email the company and ask them :)

And no, I'm not interested in the fancy vest either.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Well, I sure hope they're not my daughter's jeans. Her jeans wouldn't fit over my foot!

But, that is funny that they're marketing in that way. Seems kinda backwards.

Kristin said...

ACTUALLY, this brand of jeans, also called NYDJ, also called Tummy-tuck Jeans, are not "mom jeans" in a bad way. I have two pairs that I wear regularly, one which is a dark wash straight leg almost skinny style, the other which is cream-colored and boot cut. I actually like them a lot. They have a medium rise, don't sag in the backside, have clever spandex that does flatten your tummy, and just seem to fit well. (I also like Lucky Brand Easy Riders and Mu Jeans--to give you an idea of my taste in jeans styles. (I have the plain Mu jeans, not the rhinestone or leather:)) They (NYDJ) seem to have a ton of different styles, although I only ever see one or two at a time in stores.

Also, you should totally come do the Seattle R&R Half! I signed up for it yesterday. Once I put it out there that I was thinking about it, it became inevitable.... And I booked my hotel, in Tukwila, near the start. :)

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

They don't call those Carpri anymore? I'm a guy, what do I know about style?

I find it a bit refreshing that they seem to be marketing to more demographics than young girls and models.