March 29, 2009

Can You Run In Galoshes?

I woke up expecting to see snow on the ground, but instead found that I could barely see out of my window. Whipping wind, huge wet snow, and visability about 10 feet. Sweet. I figured maybe people werent going to do the Shamrock Shuffle today, so I sent out a general text. Um, everyone was still in ... that meant I was too.

My friend Christina picked me up at 8:40 for a 9:45 start time. Seeing as it would only take us 20 minutes to get there we figured we were doing great. Unfortunately, every road was blocked when we got down to the start area, and we drove around for 45 minutes. At one point we had to wait to turn as we watched the elites and "A Corral" people running by us (they had a 9:30 start time). Whoops.

Eventually we parked and got to the start, only to have to wait until the walkers (who did a different 5K course) started. We verified we were still allowed to run the 8K course and with some directions we were off on our way.

For the first mile or so it was just us and a "warming bus". A school bus following the course to pick up any people who were too cold to continue. The cold wasnt the issue - the 2 or so inches of slush and water on the ground was. Our feet were soaked before we even started the race.

About 2 miles in we caught up to the walkers, and by 3 miles in we were back in the mix of it, with runners all around. Yay!



I took it really easy the whole time and never felt the urge to stop. In fact, befored I knew it we were approaching the finish line!
I honestly was suprised how easy this race was for me. I am sure my slow pace had a lot to do with it, but I also think all of the commotion leading up to the race and the conditions we had to run in made for a bit of an adventure.

Time:58:41   Distance:8K   Pace:11:48

3 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats on such a great race despite awful weather conditions!

robison52 said...

Congrats on running an 8k race and not stopping in horrible conditions! I can't even imagine running in soaked cold feet!!

Aron said...

yikes that is scary weather! congrats on a great race and feelign so good :)