May 5, 2011

Rude Awakening

Ryan is 6 months old today. While he continues to hit all of his developmental milestones (he's sitting up on his own pretty well now!) he still has been a challenge at night. He seems to take it all in stride and is a pretty happy guy ... I, on the other hand, am not.

My day today started at 4:15. All his crying woke up his sister, who got up at 5:45. He had to go down for a nap at 7:15am. It's nice that he has that option, but the rest of us don't ;) This morning he will wake up from his first nap before he usually goes down for it!

I'm not getting sleep at night, and because the kids naps dont overlap, I don't get any time to myself during the day. By the time Brooke was 6 months I had already completed 3 post-natal workout classes and was working out at least 3 days a week. Things are different this time around and I'm having a hard time accepting it.

I knew things would be hard with two - but the challenges are nothing that I expected. I figured the older one would act up with the arrival of a sibling. I thought I'd have to deal with temper tantrums and work on keeping the two kids apart. It's the opposite! Brooke loves him. He is clearly enamored with her. There are no issues with her, or issues between them. She tries to be patient and has not objected to the amt of attention/time her brother needs.

The issues I have are with ME! I'm the one not adjusting to the change very well. How long is it gonna take before I get into a groove here? Tell me I'll get the hang of it before they're in college at least. Please? :)

2 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Hang in there! Even the worst sleepers eventually sleep (don't read my post about camping LOL) and it does get easier.

Jess said...

I don't have the 2nd one yet, and I'm sure I will soon be sharing your boat, so I really hope it does get better soon!