January 26, 2011

Well, This Is Embarrassing...

Only a few weeks after Ryan was born I had dropped all of the pregnancy weight. Everyone I saw raved about how great I looked and how they couldnt believe I had a baby only a few weeks prior. Pretty awesome, huh?

Now I have post-pregnancy weight gain. Yeah, while many women are still struggling to lose the weight they gained with their baby, I already did that. In fact, I was about 2 lbs UNDER my pre-pregnancy weight. Then ... I turned around and gained back about 7 lbs. So in the 2.5 months since I had Ryan I lost about 26 lbs and then gained 7 of them back. I feel like an idiot.

Over the past few months I've been tired. I havent exercised. But, (and I think, most importantly) I have also eaten really poorly. Feeding a two-year-old and newborn is a full time job. Brooke has breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, and dinner. Ryan eats every three hours. All day I am feeding them and I don't feed myself. Brooke is a picky eater and its hard to eat the same as she does, and I dont usually have the time (or energy) to fix two separate meals (one for her and one for me) at breakfast and lunch. And half the time she is eating, I'm using that time to feed Ryan ... so there isnt any time to eat at all.

You would think that the scenario I provided would cause me to lose weight, right? Unfortunately, Im starving all the time. I dont take the time to fix myself meals, or even to buy healthy foods that are quick to eat. So what do you do when you are limited in time and really hungry? Eat junk, of course. Over the past few months I've survived on cookies, crackers, pastries and candy. Lots of lattes and soda. The occasional fast-food-drive-thru and lots of dinners out at restaurants.

My clothes fit pretty great after Ryan was born, something that did not happen with Brooke. But now a few weeks later they are back to not fitting again :( Yes, I'm embarrassed. But, I resolve to change things! I got a latte this morning but ordered an oatmeal instead of a pastry. I got some better food at the grocery store today. And right now I'm sitting down eating a salad (while Ryan sleeps and the sitter is playing with Brooke). I dont want to feel bad about my post post-baby body and need to correct this situation asap.

Baby steps ;)

Ab Workout
Updated this post to include the ab workout I did during naptime!

Torso Extensions or “Press Ups” 10 reps
Superman – upper & lower body 20 reps
Front Plank – from toes 20 second, 3X
Bird Dogs – limbs off centered 15 reps, holding 10 sec each
Segmental Hip Bridges 10 reps, 2X
Pelvic Floor Gliding Contractions 120 seconds
Torso Rolls 60 seconds
TransVersus Abdominus (TVA) 15X each leg, 3X
Crunches 15reps, 3X
Roll Downs 10 reps
Modified Pushup 10reps, 2X
Cats & Dogs 10reps

5 comments:

Kristina said...

At least you caught it so you can correct it before too much damage was done.

I don't have kids, but I buy a couple of large bags of baby carrots every weekend at the grocery store (obviously, celery or mixed veggies work just as well) so that I have them available when I'm hungry but am between meals. (I used to grab a jar of peanut butter and a spoon, so you can imagine what a difference these carrots have made!)

As far as your meals during the week, could your husband watch the kids for a couple of hours one day on the weekend so you could cook up some meals for yourself that you could just pop into the microwave (or into your mouth) during the week?

lifestudent said...

I picked up baby carrots just today ;) And bagels ... to help fill my carb craving.

I think I just need to cook a bit extra dinner - like a casserole, so I have some to reheat for lunch. And I also need to buy a healthier cereal than the sugary crap I eat for breakfast. I think I just need to think smarter.

Thanks for the tips Kristina!!!!!!!

Kerrie said...

That exact thing happened to me. I didn't get down to pre-preggo weight, but I did lose a significant amount -- then over the course of the year, I gained it back. So frustrating.

Maybe you just need to write everything down. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I ate a lot but then I go to write it down and it turns out a little here and a little there add up.

Good luck! If it counts, I think you are amazing just keeping everyone fed. I only have one kid and I'm a complete head case. :)

Jess said...

I bet that's pretty common for a lot of women. After Norah was born, I shed most of my weight right away, but had a lingering few pounds that took about 5-6 months to fully shed. I have no clue what will happen this 2nd time around!

Good luck with the new endeavor to eat healthier!

JScribe said...

And maybe running next monday? (the 7th) Maybe some Yoga in there some where with your little sister. :) And, it doesnt help to have your kid in November, i mean, you arent the only one whos put on lbs. Way less activity in the crappy weather, and cold weather foods are comfort foods too. Who wants to eat a salad and a bottle of vitamin water when its 4 degrees out! You'll get your groove back. You always do. :)