November 17, 2008

There Is Always Another Day

Today was supposed to be the day. I was going to get back into some sort of fitness routine, starting with a Stroller Strides class. But I'm not going.

I have a billion reasons. Brooke hasnt been feeling well. She didn't sleep well last night. Her feeding "schedule"if you can call it that) is off and she would technically need to eat in the middle of class. After fussing for a bit she fell asleep minutes before I was supposed to leave ... and they say to never wake a sleeping baby.

But although there are many ways in which I can blame Brooke, the truth is that we are not going to Stroller Strides because of me. I've been a parent for a little less than 7 weeks now, and its challenging. The most difficult thing is that I no longer am in charge of my own life. I shower when Brooke decides to nap. I eat lunch when she stops screaming and is happy in her swing. I go to Starbucks when she is fussing and I know a walk in the stroller will help. I run errands after the second time she eats for the day, when she is generally sleepy. We don't go far, and only go to one place ... so she isnt disturbed and I can get home fast in the event of a meltdown. Basically, my life now revolves around her wants and desires, not my own. And I'm not complaining a bit. I love this whole experience, but it makes me quite uncomfortable when situations call for a schedule. Stroller Strides at 11 freaks me out. Now if I could just show up anywhere in a 3 hour windoe I'd be golden :)

We attampt Stroller Strides again on Wednesday. Someday when she is a bit bigger the tables will turn and I'll be telling her when and where we go ... intil then I am happy to have Brooke be in charge.

1 comment:

robison52 said...

Sounds like you have your priorities right on target!! Just remember to give yourself a little "me" time. When the child becomes more self-sufficient you'll have more time for fitness.