November 15, 2007

Deja Vu

It wasnt too long ago I was tapering for the Chicago Marathon. Just like before, I seem to be quite good at the taper. This has been a strange week. First I thought I was having a heart-attack (um, I wasnt) and then I spent two days going back and forth to Indiana for a relatives wake and funeral. Today I still think I am having a heart-attack (yes, I know I am not) and on top of that I am generally not feeling well. The end result is that I havent run since the 20-miler. Its been many days. I had full intentions on running today and have been carrying my stuff around all day, but combined with the funny chest feeling, and the nausea, I also have an upset stomach today. I think I am falling apart :)

On a better note, while I did not do any running - I did think about running. I went to Fleet Feet to get some more shot blocks ... and also picked up some sweet running gloves. Each week it hasnt been too cold, but cold enough that my hands have been cold during the majority (if not all) of my run. I have been wearing these knit gloves that get sweaty - and then make my hands even colder. A couple of weeks ago Cara bought running gloves and each week during our long runs she laughs at and mocks me when I cry and complain about my sopping wet gloves. I tried to play it tough. "I dont need gloves". Then I looked at the weather for Saturday - high of 48, expected to be 39 when we start running, possibilities of rain and/or flurries. That will be our coldest run yet. Obviously long-range weather forcasting is not trustworthy, but right now it looks like Las Vegas will be at the high end of their average range for 12/2 (60 degrees). Thats awesome weather ... but in case the tides turn I will be prepared with my new, sweet, wicking, Nike gloves :)

In addition, the Fleet Feet employee convinced me to try "Luna Moons" - the Luna version of the Cliff shot blocks I have been using. She told me that they taste better and are easier to eat - and more importantly they have a pomegranite flavor. Since I love pomegranite martinis I figured this is pretty close, right? At least I can dream...

Well I have all the stuff I need to run and am running out of excuses. If only my body would stop rejecting me I could get back out there and get this whole marathon-thing over with!

6 comments:

Jess said...

Those are some sweet gloves! Hope the "ickiness" soon!

Jess said...

Passes. That's what I meant to include. "Hope the ickiness passes soon." Sheesh.

Jamie said...

Nice gloves. I still use the $1.50gloves from Target. I'll break down soon. Definitely try the Luna moons. I tried them on my 20 mile last week and love,love,love them. Ended up buying a whole box.

Good luck in Vegas. I ran the 1/2 marathon there last year and it was in the 30's at the start. Sounds like better weather for you.

robison52 said...

Yup, looks like we're going to have fantastic weather in Vegas on December 2nd, now if we can have calm breezes it'll be perfect.

Normally the temps are cold at the start, but warms up quickly...therefore I always wear cheap garden gloves from the 99 cents store and discard them during the race.

I would experiment with those carbs during your training runs before attempting to eat them during the marathon.

lifestudent said...

Jess - I prefer your original comment: "hope the ickiness soon". HAHAHA. I am still laughing as I type.

Jamie - I am psyched about the Luna moons. I am aching to taste them tonight, but figured I can hold off and actually try them during a run ... since thats bacically the point anyway ;)

Robinson52 (aka Vegas Runner) - I am counting on the good weather. After Chicago I feel it is my destiny!

Database Diva said...

Wow, I was just shopping for gloves on the Nike web site. I didn't see those, but I'm going to go look again. I'm also wearing the $1.50 Target gloves, but I would like something that is a little bit rain resistant. Bring your gloves to Vegas, the latest forecast calls for rain/snow the morning of the marathon. I ran Vegas in 2005 and 2006. It was cold and windy, but dry both times.