May 16, 2007

Rain Out

Today was a typical spring day in Chicago - at one point during the day it got 10 degrees warmer, then proceeded to drop 20 degrees. Clouds rolled in an out, and rain came down in terrential downpour, then miraculaously stopped. Luckily I did a bit of shopping during the day when it was semi-nice out, and effectively accomplished my desired tasks. YAY!
For the team workout I picked up a girl on my team as dark clouds came pouring in...and we pulled up to the meeting spot at the same time they cancelled the workout. Luckily it wasnt a complete waste - another girl from my team was there and needed a ride home. Today I got to play chauffer.
A Very SPECIAL Happy Meal
Maybe this isn't funny, but I sure thought it was. An 8-year old girl ordered a happy meal at a local McDonalds, and found a lighter, pipe and bag of marijuana inside. Looks like McDonalds is getting creative with their Happy Meal toys :)

Training Log
Time:  25.50 minutes  Distance:2.50 miles   Pace:  10:20min/mi
Today was confusing, and hard! I decided to try to mimic the strides from last week in which we ran 400 meters and then sprinted 100 meters. The problem was that the treadmill only allowed me to set intervals at 400 meters. So I set one interval at my regular pace (10:56) and then one faster (9:44), so my average pace was 10:20. The first mile was tough, the second was killer. To top it off my knee started to hurt. I did 2.5 miles (25:50) and just had to stop...about 4 minutes shy of my 30 minute goal. I just couldnt do it! I walked the rest of my 30 minutes...

At the end of the run, my left knee hurt so much I couldnt bend it. Walking home was painful, and going up the stairs to my condo was even worse! I have spent the rest of the night trying to do some reading (eating, of course) and combining ice and elevation. I am worried that I am going to wake up hurting tomorrow...but we will see!
Progress Made
  • I ran pretty fast (for me, that is!) for a whole 2 1/2 miles
  • I remembered to wear my other shoes!
Lessons Learned
  • Its difficult, if not impossible, to mimic the wed night group runs on the elliptical
  • My left knee is definitely worse than the right - I need to pay more attention to it when it comes to resting & stretching, but also make sure it doesnt get worse

No comments: