December 3, 2008

Finding The Time, Energy & Desire

I knew it would be hard to get back into any sort of workout regime with a baby, but its harder than I thought. Brooke is 9 weeks old today and I have barely left the couch. When I have energy, she is cranky. When she is in a great mood, I'm exhausted. Its hard for the two of us to get on the same page and thus sheduling in workouts is almost impossible.

Brooke has been on some sort of sleep strike for a week now. She just isnt sleeping at night. She maybe sleeps 15-30 minutes and then spends the next 30-90 minutes fussing around. All the awake time means she needs to be fed, and in between her fussing and me having to get up and down every couple of hours I'm lucky to get 3 hours of sleep a night ... in small increments. That means I'm just plain-old exhausted.

I know that our schedule will become more routine as she gets older and that I will just be better at managing our schedule with time, but the longer I abstain from activity the harder it will be for me to get back into shape. In addition, I just feel lousy about myself. I spend my time in sweats (covered in spitup and a variety of other fluids) and still dont fit into the majority of my old clothes ... getting myself back into a workout routine is important for more than just getting back into shape, its necessary to make me feel better both mentally and physically. At the rate things are going I am going to have to make working out a New Years Resolution - but with the end of the year quickly on our heels that date is not far off! Jan 1 will be Brooke's 3 month birthday and I have explained to her that she is going to have to cooperate with me then since she will be pretty much all grown up :) We have to start the new year off right!

2 comments:

Aron said...

hang in there!! my friend is going through this exact same thing right now... she wants to get back into shape so bad but just doesn't have the energy right now. things will get better :)

Alisa said...

Wow...I probably won't be doing anything for a long while after kids (if I ever have any =)).

You'll get back! My best friend did, in fact, she is smaller now than before her baby was born.