May 29, 2008

More Ways to Waste Time!

In my recent issue of Women's Health magazine, they have this cool article: "100 Most Useful Sites On The Web". They break the websites down into a bunch of categories, including beauty, food, travel, etc. Some of the sites I am familiar with, some arent too exciting ... but there are a few I was not previously aware of and have now found more ways to waste time on the internet.

Rotten Neighbor
RottenNeighbor.com is a neighborhood search engine you can use before moving into a new neighborhood that can help you identify "troublesome neighbors" before you sign the paperwork. Looks like I should have checked this earlier ... I have about 3 sex offenders living within a couple of blocks (and I live right across the street from a school!)

Whatshouldireadnext.com
On this site, you enter the title and author of a book you like and/or are currently reading and they will suggest what should be next on your reading list. I decided to check out what I should read after the book I just finished: Ian McEwan's Atonement and was given the following recommendations:
The Bookshop - Penelope Fitzgerald
Regeneration - Pat Barker
Dear Exile: The True Story of Two Friends Separated (For a Year) by an Ocean - Hilary Liftin, Kate Montgomery
Metroland - Julian Barnes
Tess of the Durbervilles - Thomas Hardy, Nina Pelikan Straus
A Suitable Boy: v. 3 - Vikram Seth
The Story of Lucy Gault - William Trevor
Carry Me Down - M.J. Hyland
Sacred Hunger - Barry Unsworth
The Puttermesser Papers - Cynthia Ozick

And speaking of books, I have a website to recommend that isnt on the 100 list! I recently became a member of this really cool site called Paperback Swap. On this site I list all of the books I have (and want to get rid of) and also list all of the books I want to read. If someone requests one of my books I ship it to them (I pay for shipping) but if someone has one of the books I want they ship it to me (and they pay). Generally it costs about $4 to ship out a book ... so essentially I get new books for $4. Considering the cost of purchasing a new book at Barnes & Noble or Borders, I save a lot of money going this route. The books I want arent always available and bookstores still take a good portion of my spending money, but I check this site first before I go out and buy something new and so far really am happy with it! I searched on Paperback Swap for a few of the books and one was available - so as I type "The Bookshop" is on its way!

1 comment:

JScribe said...

What happens if you go on Rotten Neighbor and find out that YOU are the rotten neighbor? That might change things, huh? There doesnt seem to be much to complain about in my neighborhood...so i guess thats a good thing!