January 23, 2008

935 False Statements Lead to War

A recent study counted a number of false statements that preceded the war in Iraq. What is the difference between a "false statement" and a lie? In legal terms it appears not a whole lot. A 2005 ABC news article, discusses the crime of "false statements" versus perjury (both of which are felonies). According to the article, the crime of a "false statement":
involves knowingly and willfully making a false statement to a government official (such as an investigator) about a material fact, or falsifying or covering up a material fact. This latter point includes knowingly omitting information that is material. The key point is the speaker's intent: that the speaker has knowingly made the false statement, or omitted relevant information.
I doubt this article was using this term frivolously, leading me to believe that the actual claim of the article is that these 935 "false statements" (259 of them uttered by Bush) were intentional. I guess my question is, if there were 935 of these kinds of statements specifically about the national security threat posed by Iraq, in the 2 years prior to the war ... how many of these "false statements" has the administration made in regards to other issues - and over the last 7 years? Hmmm...

Maybe you are wondering why I keep blogging about random stuff, and not mentioning running? Um, its because I am not doing any running. But, I am doing a lot of random stuff and thus the logic of my posts ;)

No comments: