August 6, 2007

The Queen of Excuses

I woke up this morning ready to do my run - with the 1/2 marathon this weekend, we have a bit of an adjusted schedule to do this week...starting with a 4 mile run today. As I convinced myself that: it is too hot and too humid, my muscles are too sore, my knee hurts, etc., I realized that doing this run is the last thing I want to do. Its probably not as hot as it was supposed to be, but yet its just one of the things that is making this run so daunting.

I have decided instead for now to just take it easy and work on some of my schoolwork. I think I need to mentally and physically be in the game, but I am just not there yet :) I have all day to do this run, and if I can't muster the willpower I will at least cross-train today.

We have heard a bit about "overtraining" - of which a symptom can be a lack of desire to run. Im not sure if this is the case, I dont feel "overtrained" ... but after the long runs it often takes me a while to get back into it. We always rest on Sundays, and then run again on Mondays, but I find myself still needing/wanting more rest on Mondays and I am not sure if I should listen to my head and body, or if this is something I am supposed to push myself through. For this minute, I am listening to myself - and hoping that I change my mind (and desire) a bit later in the day!

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

You might not be overtrained. Other symptoms can be muscle sorness, ongoing fatigue, sickness, irritability, sleep problems, etc. You're probably just experiencing the weariness of ongoing marathon training. I'm also running Chicago Marathon, and it's fabulous. Good luck with your training and fund raising.