May 14, 2007

Speed Demon...Well, Not Quite ;)

Its a fantastic day in Chi-Town..sunny, warm, just perfect! I went for my 40 minute run at about 9:30 (it was only in the 60's at that time..its 81 now!). Today I repeated the same route I did last Monday - my first "bad" run. I finished the run almost 2 minutes faster - pacing at about 10:40. AWESOME.

Rest of My Day
After the run I got together some of my school work. I have 6 courses I will be tested on for my comps...my goal this week is to go through all of my material for each course at a high-level. Make sure all of its there, that I am not missing anything..and just generally look it over. Today I am doing two courses that were taught by the same professor. His classes were structured very similarly, and both were very organized. Since the Professor, and the course, were organized - I know I am pretty good (material-wise) for those two so I decided to do them both today. I put on my swimsuit, sat on the deck - and got some sun while I went through the first one. I am now inside preparing lunch - and course 1 is done. AWESOME.

I just want to say, today is a great day.

Training Log
Time:  39.50 minutes  Distance:3.73 miles   Pace:  10:40min/mi
My knees hurt during the run, but the pain was nothing like last week when I ran the exact same route. I think the icing is making a difference - and I made sure to ice before and after todays run. I forgot to change into my older shoes, and went out with the new ones again - something I continually forget to do.
My pacing was much faster than normal, but I didn't feel like I was pushing myself or going that much faster. Maybe the training is working a bit? Maybe the slow run on Saturday was the way to do it because it didnt drain me for the Monday run? Either way, I am totally happy today :)
Progress Made
  • Ran at a natural (not forced pace) of 10:40, much faster than I have ever done before
  • Got some studying done before lunch (this isnt training related, but its sure going to take up a lot of the next few weeks, so I think is going to be part of the daily discussion!)
Lessons Learned
  • The first time out in the sun can be a bit dangerous - I am a little pink!
  • I think the icing is working, need to make sure I keep it up
  • I cannot remember to wear my old shoes during the weekday runs - I need to hide my new ones from myself so I choose the others instead!

No comments: