January 15, 2009

Hal Higdon's 8K Training Schedule

I have an 8K to run on 3/29, and currently am not capable of running three miles straight. So, perhaps I'm in need of some help :)

Hal Higdon offers an 8K Training Schedule for the novice, intermediate and advanced. At this point I think I am a "novice", considering that I haven't run in I-can't-remember-how-long. The schedule is for 8 weeks, which would mean I need to start on February 2nd. There is one really good thing about this schedule ... it starts on Monday, 2/2 with no running. Ok, I think I can handle that.

Here is week 1
Monday: stretching & strengthening
Tuesday: 2 miles
Wednesday: 30 minutes cross training
Thursday: 2 miles and stretching & strengthening
Friday: rest
Saturday: 30 minutes cross training
Sunday: 2 miles (this will be the long run day, but starts at 2!)

During the 5K, I did a run/walk but didn't really have trouble until mile 3. For sure I couldnt have run any of the miles completely, but I'm pretty confident I can handle a couple of 2 mile runs. Well, I hope so at least.

2 comments:

Aron said...

sounds like a perfect plan to getting back into running!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a bit frustrating? 10min in to a run and sucking wind the other week I was having the conversation with myself, "I've run a freakin' MARATHON, this shouldn't be that hard!"

Good luck to you. I should enter a race to give me some motivation to get back out on the pavement more often.