January 6, 2008

Record Breaker

Today we broke a temperature record :) Chicago hit 60 degrees...the old record was 54. Guess I should actually left the house instead of spending the day doing laundry and cooking. Its the "warmest January 6 in 100 years"!

Maybe its not all good, if you attribute the whole thing to Global Warming. And thinking about global warming got me back to thinking about the fact that I have still yet to figure out what I want to accomplish in 2008. I know that the thought process may not seem clear (global warming=new year resolutions???) but trust me, there was logic in there somewhere. One of the things I do hope to do in 2008 is to become a better influence on the environment, to make changes where I can - and also to educate myself more regarding the changes that are happening and what role (if any) I play in that. Surfing around I found an article on the Environmental Defense website titled "New Year's Resolutions: Eight Ways to Help the Environment" in which they list 8 items you should pledge to do in 2008. I thought these were pretty interesting, most of them are really EASY, and thus blog-worthy!
  1. Replace my conventional light bulbs with energy-efficient ones
  2. Calculate my carbon footprint
  3. Make small changes at home
  4. Drive like the Earth depends on it
  5. Buy carbon offsets to help offset my emissions further
  6. Choose seafood that's good for me and the ocean
  7. Write my members of Congress demanding a strong global warming law
  8. Pass this list to my friends and family

I figured one of the things I can do this year is work my way through this list - just by posting I already completed #8. I can already tell 2008 is going to be a productive year ;)

3 comments:

Jess said...

That's a good list. I've done #1. Haven't gotten any further than that.

Environmental Defense said...

Thanks for posting our New Year's Resolutions! I wish you luck in sticking with them!

lifestudent said...

Jess - that first one is such an easy one to do, I seriously kick myself because I havent done it :( Next time a bulb goes out - I swear - energy efficient goes in!