October 20, 2007

Running & Eating Take Up 1/2 My Day

In the beginning of training season, like a million months ago, we started our runs at 7 am. Due to the change in seasons, the time the sun rises, and the temperature drop - we now run at 8. By the time we finished 12 miles, and had a nice long breakfast (um, lunch?) it was after 1:00 pm. Where did the day go? Yeah, I got in a workout. But now I am exhausted and want to sit on the couch for the rest of the day :) Unfortunately thats not an option. A good friend of mine from high school is getting married today so Jeff and I are off the the burbs dressed to our finest. (Cant wait until I try to squeeze my swollen runner's feet into those heels).

Training Log
Time:  2:09:48 time  Distance:12 miles   Pace:  10:49 min/mi
Its funny, I looked at my first 12-miler ... and the overall pace was the same. (I dont know if thats good or bad!) There is one major difference though - when we first started running I stopped my watch for "breaks", so I can figure out the speed I was actually running at. It turned out that the breaks were pretty lengthy, which I didnt know because I didnt time them. Eventually I changed my practice and now time for the whole thing. There are two reasons I do this: 1) race times include breaks ... they dont stop the clock if you have to use the porta potty! and 2) we take less breaks now, one real benefit of training. While my pacing was the same as my first 12, I took the first 6 very easy. In fact, we hung out a bit here and there and chatted and/or waited for other members of the Vegas Crew. On the way back, Kevin & I picked it up a bit - on the way out were were running about 10:30's and on the way back it was much closer to 9:30's. (You can tell by the actual pace about how lengthy these "breaks" were!)

3 comments:

Jess said...

Yeah, when you count the time it takes to prepare, run, and recover from a long run -- it can really add up. Hope you enjoyed the wedding and that the feet survived the evening.

JScribe said...

Im proud of all your running. Ive been a lazy lazy gal. I just wanted to let you know that everyone I've asked to read my blog now reads yours. My popularity is boosting yours. :)

lifestudent said...

My feet were actually great all night, so I was pretty excited.