September 5, 2007

Reasons to Race

Runner's World has an article, entitled "Reasons to Race" which talks about why road runners and recreational runners should enter races. It's actually a pretty interesting article, and something I am more convinced of since the Park Forest Scenic 10. My first race, the Chicago Distance Classic, kind of messed with my head. It was hot, there were no spectators, and I wasnt a big fan of the route. In addition, I think 13.1 miles is pretty lengthy for a first race - so it was obviously a challenge. After that run, I began to doubt myself regarding my ability to complete the Marathon. If 13.1 was so hard - how would I double that?

But the recent Park Forest Scenic 10 (while 3.1 miles shorter) was a positive experience and re-energized my confidence for the upcoming Marathon. The Reasons to Race is a great read for those of us who may need a bit of confidence boosting - or some additional motivation :)

No comments: