July 13, 2011

45 Minute Tantrum, 33 Minute Run

Brooke has been in all sorts of moods lately. It's definitely got something to do with the fact she is two, but also seems to have a lot to do with her sleep. She is tired a lot. She has a hard time falling asleep and often has coughing fits when she actually does try to sleep. She wakes up early no matter what time she goes to bed. And, she is active every single second she is awake. I'm tired. She must be exhausted. Occasionally, on a particularly busy/rough/long day she will just lose it. Mentally and physically. Unfortunately, today was one of those days.

Well before I put her for her nap she began to protest. "I dont wanna nap." She was gearing up for a fight long before it was necessary. She came fully prepared for battle. She yelled. She cried. She threw things. She got out of her bed (at least 10 times). She scratched the wall. She hit the wall. She hit me. I continued to tell her that she didnt have to take a nap, but she had to be quiet and have some "quiet time". Finally she calmed down a bit. She got a book and got into her rocking chair. I left the room, and she began to read it ... at the top of her lungs. I figured I might be able to squeeze 30 minutes out of her since she thought she got her way, and so I hopped on the treadmill. After 1 mile (pretty much exactly) she started whimpering and crying (but it was quieter). I jumped off the treadmill and ran up two flights of stairs to see what was the matter.

With teary eyes she told me "I want to rest".
I said, "you are ready to take a nap?"
"No," she told me "I'm ready to rest."

She got into bed and I covered her up, and she was passed out before I was out the door. I got in three miles and am now waiting just a few minutes till I go wake her up. She didnt fall asleep for her nap until 3PM, there is no way I'm going to let her sleep the rest of the day. I'm getting her up soon and she will be cranky, but hopefully she will be tired enough to have a good nights sleep tonight and not create this kind of havoc again tomorrow. I guess only time will tell.

Regardless, I got in my three mile run. That's honestly the only real thing I wanted to accomplish today. Tomorrow is the big race, or what I have been thinking of as miles-for-a-cupcake. Im counting on a good nights sleep so I can actually win finish this race tomorrow.

Time - 32:55
Distance - 3 Mi
Pace - 10:58

No comments: