August 25, 2007

18-Miler

Alive, and (pretty) well ... home from my 18-miler. The weather was pretty great - cooler, but still very humid. I would take cool and humid over hot and humid any day, but for the Marathon my vote is for cool, without the humidity :) Back to the run ... I felt good throughout the run, but around mile 10 my back really started to hurt. My low back was the worst, but it also went all the way up and down eventually. I am aware many runners experience back pain, but it might not be a coincidence that I had my back re-aligned just recently. I still havent made up my mind about the chiropractor, but I am definitly going to postpone doing anything until after the marathon ... just in case it impacts my training or the actual marathon itself. (So, I have answered one of my many life issues...temporarily!)

With the back pain, the run became a bit harder. I pushed through and finished, but I do think it could have gone better overall without it. I also had a lot of pain in my pinky toe for the last three miles or so. Everyone I know has has this issue - seems to be something with the toenail banging against the shoe?

So I am now home, with ice packs on my ankles and knees. I came home with a sore back, sort pinky toe, and pretty major farmers tan / sunburn line. Other than that, I am feeling pretty good. Scared, but optimistic, about the next few weeks!

Tonight
Some of our fellow Team in Training members are having a fundraiser at a local bar tonight. Its at 7 - which is good. Any later and I might just not make it! So I cant wait to reward myself with a beer or two (or three...four...or five).

Tomorrow
Tomorrow, the other two girls in my pace group (Patti & Becca) in addition to one other TNT member (Cara, who is too fast for our pokey little pace group) are going to volunteer at the Accenture Chicago Triathlon. We are manning (womening?) the fourth aid station along the run. The whole event is so huge and crazy, but this spectators guide makes some of the explanation quite simple. I am really excited to get a glimpse of what this event is like and it should promise to be a fun day. Since I actually get the chance to "spectate" I am going to bring along my camera and will post any fun pictures!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing! The weather was a indeed nice change (I was convinced I was going to be soaked). I'm with you on the request for cold and not-humid.

I haven't run into back pain (thank God) but get twangs every in my leg every once in a while on a long run where I think, "I hope that clears up in a few more strides."

Rest that back and legs, they deserve it.

lifestudent said...

I have promised myself that the back pain was random ... and that I will never encounter it on a long run again :) Lets hope I can keep that promise to myself!