May 14, 2008

Marathon Leap: 2008

New Years Eve of 2007 I pondered what my "Marathon Leap" would be for 2008. Every year I set some sort of milestone or hurdle to overcome, and wondered what sort of life accomplishment I could achieve in 2008. A few weeks later I found out the answer, but have yet to share it on the blogosphere.

Linden nominated me for the "Best of Blogs" and I actually am on of the top 5 finalists for the category of "Best Sports Blog". If you are a reader of this blog, or have just stopped by ... you might wonder how the heck that could happen. I dont appear to talk about anything sports-worthy ... and I can now tell you that this is partly because of the 2008 Marathon Leap. I promise you will hear more about running (or my alternatives to running) from now on, after I share my Marathon Leap. For now, vote for my blog at best of blogs...I am totally losing ;)

Some Actual Fitness Related Posting: And Marathon Leap 2008
I have taken a bit of a break from exercise. Actually, from almost all movement. All of my friends are doing the Chicago Marathon this year, and I am not. But, today I actually started a yoga class. A Pre-Natal Yoga Class. Yup, I am having a baby (due Oct 8) and have just recently begun to feel better after 4 months of lethargy, nausia and occasional crabbiness. Many women continue to run during pregnancy but I have deemed this to be almost impossible. Why?
1) I took too much time off after the Vegas Marathon and lost lots of cardio/endurance strength
2) I felt crappy for so many months that running wasn't in the picture
3) When I tried to run after feeling better, it felt like I had a bowling-ball strapped to my abdomen

So what now? I am back to moving...and started this yoga class today. I am hitting the gym this week after a hiatus for some cardio (treadmill walking) and strength training. I also plan to do "races" this year, but will do them as a walker, not a runner.

This year my Marathon Leap is another life-changing experience, as our little family (currently myself, Jeff & Wrigley) becomes a bit bigger this fall. The next few months will likely lead me on quite a journey and I plan to share bits of that journey with you along the way.

The Future of Marathon Leap
I have stalled in mentioning this to the blogosphere because I dont want this to become a blog about babies. I cannot guarantee that baby-talk wont slip in, but I am aiming to keep true to the nature of this blog. The nature of this blog is often questionable, but tends to focus on the important things in my life: fitness, animals and pastries :) For now, I plan to take it one-day-at-a-time and see where I go with it. I apologize in advance if I drift too often (and too far) onto paths of the unknown, unusual, or just plain boring.

Photos courtesy of knife18 and vancity197

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Congratulations!

rinusrunning said...

I vote your blog!.
Groet Rinus.
http://rinusrunning.punt.nl/?home=1

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!

Linden said...

I'm so happy for you! How exciting! Definitely a leap of a different kind.

And just to let you know, I for one do not mind any amount of pregnancy/baby talk on your blog. I have some pretty severe baby fever since we moved.

Doesn't help that one of the couples we hang out with a bit had a baby right before moving (they moved the same time we did) and that the Mrs. loves encouraging my baby fever by shoving cute little Joe on me when I'm too feeble to ask if I can hold him. :)

JScribe said...

In the fall you can go running pushing baby schneider around in one of those giant-wheeled athle-strollers. I also dont mind a little baby blogging. I'm just about as interested in babies as I am in cupcakes, animals and fitness. (dont forget shopping and NKOTB). I can't wait to be a Marathon Aunt!