November 3, 2011

Student For Life Interrupted

I could write a 20 page post on this, but I'll try to keep it brief. It might be obvious that I havent been talking a whole lot (um, at all in fact) about school lately. There is a great reason for this. Here is the short version.

After blowing me off for about 1/2 a year, my dissertation advisor up and retired, "effective immediately", due to health concerns. Instead of helping me find someone new he suggested I do it myself, then disappeared. Nobody offered up the next two years of their life to work with me. The university basically tried to kick me out (but instead just nicely suggested that I quit now and find a good teaching job since finishing the program is really hard work). With two kids and a busy life, I originally agreed.

Then my peers began to tell me what an idiot I was for not putting up a fight. Explaining that my department had to support me and that I needed to seek action. So, I filed a complaint. A lot of stuff went down. Now someone in my department has been forced to be my chair, and several others have been forced to be my dissertation committee.

Thats the short, nice version.

Anyway. I'm back in school, working with some people who dont really want to work with me. Some of them (one in particular) I believe are trying to sabotage me. On top of that, I've got two nutty kids and I'm trying to fit running in somewhere. (Im not going to even start to get into the other stuff going on in my life right now, this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg!)

I havent been posting a lot because if I have a few extra minutes I'm trying to sneak in school work. Today the little guy woke up early from nap and screwed up my school work time, so I figured I'd post while he shoves his face with Goldfish crackers. I have been running. I also have been meeting with my trainer. I'm hoping life gets settled in a bit and I can add laundry and cooking to the "have" list. For now its dinner from a box and "find your clean socks somewhere in the laundry room". Its working ... but not well ;)

1 comment:

Jess said...

Aw, man, that's terrible! Good luck trying to work with the new committee and advisor!