May 20, 2008

"Do The Salt"

I have never used salt during a long run or race ... but considering my regular diet I dont necessarily think I need to. I am pretty sure due to my salt intake I generally retain about 10 extra lbs of water, but for those of you who don't this Runners World article offers tips onpreenting hyponatremia, which includes ingesting salt packets during a race.

What is hyponatremia?
Hyponatremia is a reduced blood sodium (salt) concentration. If sodium levels fall below 130 mmol per liter, it creates a general clouding of consciousness similar to what you experience when you are drunk. Nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness and dizziness are also frequently observed. As the case of hyponatremia becomes more sever, the brain swells as the sodium level gets lower as a result of the general state of fluid overload.

"Drunkeness", nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness and dizziness are all symptoms of mild cases. According to the article, in very severe cases "the athlete lapses into unconsciousness, develops epileptic-like seizures and may stop breathing or suffer cardiac arrest. Fluid overload of the lungs may produce pulmonary edema that leads to shortness of breath and coughing up blood-stained sputum".

3 comments:

JScribe said...

The idea of ingesting a salt packet makes me puke. But isnt that the point of something like gatorade too? that it contains sodium? Some of the Cliff Shot Bloks contain sodium, too. I think the Margarita one, to be exact. keep blogging about running... i need inspiration... I gotta lace up my sneakers and get back out there!!

Jess said...

I've never used salt either. But the thought of it is not pleasant.

lifestudent said...

I actually have mixed in the Margarita shot blocks during long runs ... and for sure salt would have helped during the Chicago Marathon fiasco. The problem was, I couldnt find any water to actually take the shot blocks (or a salt packet) with ;)